Connect with us

World

At least 20 people dead after boat sinks off Tunisia’s coast

Avatar

Published

on

The boat, which was heading towards Italy, was carrying 53 people when it sank; rescue operations are still ongoing.

At least 20 people have died after a boat carrying dozens of migrants sank off Tunisia’s coast, according to local officials.

Sfax court spokesman Mourad Tourki said on Tuesday an investigation has been opened following the shipwreck off the Kerkennah Islands that killed people from countries in sub-Saharan Africa. 

Tourki said a total of 53 people had set out on the boat aiming to reach Italy’s coast, adding that a search operation continued for the remaining passengers.

Last month, Tunisian authorities said at least one migrant drowned and six were missing from another shipwreck. More than 80 were rescued.

According to the United Nations refugee agency, attempts to reach the Italian coast from Tunisia have jumped by 150 percent in the first four months of the year, compared with the same period in 2019.

Last year, 86 people died when their boat sank off the coast of Tunisia’s southern town of Zarzis. 

The Tunisian coast has become a common launch point for thousands of migrants, including Tunisians, seeking a better life in Europe.

Tunisian National Guard spokesman Houssemeddine Jebabli laid last week that 140 undocumented migrants had been arrested.

Read More

Armenian Aggression

Armenian Armed Forces shelling Azerbaijani Tartar region

Avatar

Published

on

By Trend

On October 26, the Armenian Armed Forces violated the new humanitarian ceasefire and shelled the city of Tartar and the villages of the region, Trend reports citing Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.

Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz

Original Article

Continue Reading

Armenian Aggression

Azerbaijani army fully complies with ceasefire regime

Avatar

Published

on

By Trend

Units of the Azerbaijani army along the entire front fully comply with the humanitarian ceasefire, which entered into force on October 26 at 08:00, Trend reports citing Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.

Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz

Original Article

Continue Reading

Armenian Aggression

Azerbaijan liberates Gubadli city from Armenian occupation

Avatar

Published

on

The Azerbaijani Army has liberated Gubadli city after 27 years of military occupation by Armenia.

President announced the news of liberation in his Twitter account on October 26.

“Victorious Armed Forces of Azerbaijan have liberated several villages of Zengilan, Jabrayil and Gubadli districts and the city of Gubadli. Long live Azerbaijan’s Armed Forces! Karabakh is Azerbaijan!” Aliyev tweeted.

The Azerbaijani Army has so far liberated from occupation Jabrayil, Fuzuli cities, Hadrut town, many villages in Khojavand and Jabrayil districts since military operations that started on September 27 after Armenian attacks on Azerbaijani Army positions and civilians.

Armenian armed forces launched a large-scale operation in the front-line zone on September 27 at 6 am, shelling the positions of the Azerbaijani army from large-calibre weapons, mortars, and artillery installations of various calibres. Armenia has been targeting Azerbaijan’s densely populated areas and infrastructure projects.

Original Article

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending