The source said the Islamic Republic was seeking to justify its “violent and unacceptable methods” by making baseless espionage accusations, adding that the Iranian people were the first victims of such methods, Iran International reported.
***
The comments followed an Aug. 15 statement by Iran’s Intelligence Ministry accusing the two diplomats of espionage-related activity.
The French diplomatic source also said Paris had taken measures in response to the treatment of the diplomats, but that details of those steps would not be made public for now.
France previously said the two diplomats were detained and questioned for nearly four hours in Tehran on July 19 and that one of them was physically assaulted. They were released the same day and later returned to France.
Iran’s Intelligence Ministry said the diplomats were encountered at what it described as a secret meeting during an operation to arrest two people in a security case. It alleged that documents seized at the location pointed to efforts to identify individuals, establish covert contacts and build a network inside and outside Iran.
Before the Intelligence Ministry statement, an Iranian Foreign Ministry official had said the diplomats were questioned after attending a gathering with people suspected of security offenses and were handed over to the French embassy after their diplomatic status was confirmed. Iran has denied that the diplomats were beaten.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot described the detention as an “extremely serious and premeditated assault” and a violation of diplomatic immunity. France has said the diplomats were responsible for programs supporting Iranian civil society, particularly artists and scientists.
17
Aug


