Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba said more than 50,000 additional doses are expected to arrive by Monday, Anadolu Agency reported.
“These doses would strengthen the government’s response to Ebola and contribute to the protection of populations, with the support of our partners,” Kamba told reporters in Kinshasa.
***
The World Health Organization said Thursday that 70,000 doses would be supplied to Congo from the global Ebola virus disease vaccine stockpile.
The vaccines will support a Phase 3 clinical trial examining the potential impact of vaccination against the Bundibugyo virus, while doses will also be used to protect frontline and health workers.
No vaccine or specific treatment has so far been approved for the Bundibugyo virus.
The Ervebo vaccine is licensed and recommended for use during outbreaks of Ebola virus disease caused by the Zaire ebolavirus.
According to the latest Health Ministry situation report, confirmed infections in the current outbreak have reached 5,290, including more than 2,500 deaths.
The arrival of the vaccines comes as Doctors Without Borders (MSF) warns that affected communities are still not receiving enough support to contain the virus.
MSF said Friday that training for health workers and community leaders on detecting cases, referring patients and preventing and controlling infections must be urgently expanded in affected communities.
The latest epidemic has affected 56 health zones across six provinces: Haut-Uele, Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Bas-Uele and Tshopo.
The outbreak was declared in mid-May.
21
Aug


